[kl-bogel] Butterfly paradise in the Canadian Cambridge
Not far from the Canadian Cambridge, in Ontario, is a wonderful place - butterfly park - Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory. Private, independent from the state, a company living on the proceeds from ticket sales, souvenirs yes muffins in the cafe, is considered one of the most successful in the business. Under the roof of the babochkonariuma settled and remarkably pozhivayut thousands of a variety of butterflies from all corners of our planet, and hundreds of tropical plants, birds, spiders, beetles yes.
1. Butterflies or correct to say - Lepidoptera, which also include and moths - one of the largest groups among the insects. Lepidopterologi (these are highly specialized entomologists) contains about 170,000 species of these fluttering creatures. At the same time, scientists did not stop and all the time opening more and more new species. A butterfly, meanwhile, toil and sweat (or whatever they have) and took second place in the competition pollinators. At first, of course, laborors-bee.
2. Its name - butterflies - they got through the structure of its wings. It turns out, long ago ancestors of the butterflies had no wings and therefore could not fly. Instead of the wings of butterflies from the ancient to frail tulovke had special outgrowths that protect the airway gap - the stigma. But evolution has decided to launch these strange creatures in the air, so the beginning of these tumors grow, gradually turning them into wings. Membranous wings of butterflies are covered with flat pouches - scales, which are the cause of the diversity of color colorings of these insects. The scales are of two types - Pigment and Optical. The former contain a color pigment, and the color often depends on the menu caterpillars - that eating such colors predominate. Optical flakes - colorless, transparent, perfectly refracting and reflecting light, creating an iridescent glow.
3. Many butterflies are smart coloring - from the top wing of a bright and catchy, bottom - a single color, dark. It is not hard to guess that when you look at the butterfly on top of its mottled coloring provides camouflage against the background of colorful flowering meadows. Well, at rest, sitting, butterfly folds its wings, turning to a potential predator underside of the wings - less noticeable. Another thing - the butterfly Kaligo, the so-called butterfly owl. Particularly when approaching a hungry bird, it opens its wings and turns in the direction of an approaching predator - in this position color of its wings is a bit like the owl's head, which no sensible insectivorous bird will not attack.
4. Seedy kaligo (owl-butterfly) quenches thirst of orange juice with pulp.
5. Forest Nymph (Idea leuconoe) aka Rice Paper (Rice Paper) sunbathing.
Everyone knows that the butterfly short-lived - some just 1-2 days. During this short period, he must find time to eat nectar, mate, lay eggs and, of course, poporhat in the sun. Poor Lepidoptera, usually arranged so that their sexual organs fit together only in individuals of the same species. Even at very high similarity of sexual system does not allow love to indulge in amorous pleasures physically - the key does not fit the lock. But if you really lovers met, then after the marriage flight of the sacraments, they did come into the process of copulation, which lasts from 20 minutes to an hour. All this time the couple lying on the ground, a flower or a piece of stationary and have fun.
6. Common Mormon (Papilio polytes) in our Russian-speaking territories for some reason was named Sailboat Polite, although the literal translation - Common Mormon - is not accidental. Females of this species found on the Indian open spaces, there are three colorings, thereby creating vpechtalenie that the male can mate with several different species. Witty entomologist, not long thinking, dubbed these butterflies Mormons, whose practice of polygamy in high esteem.
7. Gipolimnas Bolin had a quarrel with a neighbor.
Despite the apparent beauty, upon closer inspection, butterflies are quite scary and ugly creatures - affects belonging to the class of insects. Proboscis, antennae and Popeye's head and asked to the big screen in a film about alien invaders. The length of the proboscis - is not a reason for pride, and explained by evolutionary parameter: it depends on the depth of the flower, which is the main menu of the species. I do not know what feeds reveler amfimoya Walker, but his trunk is 25 inches!
Many butterflies from tropical regions prefer color of fruits, especially slightly rotten. But excessive consumption of citrus alcohol can lead to serious health problems, such as right-sided deformation trunk.
8. And this fellow seems to have miscalculated its norm. Or just mix different nectars that (as already known from his student days) do not in any case impossible.
9. Vision in butterflies are not very good (see well-moving bright objects, worse still distinguish), but quite unique. Like many insects, butterflies have a faceted view of bodies, where each eye - it's hundreds and even thousands of small eyes, working on the processing of visual images. Without perceiving red, porhatye distinguish us invisible ultraviolet part of the spectrum.
10. Another representative of the type "I want to be an owl," spying for a leaf of rice paper (see above), host an ultraviolet bath.
11. I have already mentioned that in addition to butterflies in the conservatory still living and all sorts of beetles, birds, turtles, spiders and fish. These are the chicken (quail) are worn through with incredible arrogance, knocking down not only the foot of butterflies, but some are not very large customers. In the photo below, Common Quail (Common Quail) for the whole body walked Peleidu Morpho (Morpho peleides).
12. Incidentally, this is the Morpho Peleida - extremely harmful butterfly. Bright blue color catches the eye immediately. But here is to capture it, I had many run by the conservatory, chasing the poor, did not understand the butterfly. At that time, as their relatives, naporhavshis, sat down on the leaves and branches and take the picturesque poses, these restless never stayed in one place for more than a second. Well the cripple with nadlomannym wing that ran a race with the quail - not in the bill. A rare shot - Morpho Peleida will not fly. Rear view.
13. A rare shot - Morpho Peleida will not fly and does not even going. View from above and behind.
14. Here! Here it is - Zebrova finches (Taeniopygia guttata) - put simply, the Australian sparrow. I just can not quote two or three lines of Wikipedia, which is very finely characterize this beautiful bird, and the average will be understood by any amateur ornithologist:
The genome of zebra finches contains 18,447 genes, of which 17 475 encode proteins. The activity of 807 genes significantly changed when a bird sings. With 10 chromosomes, 15 are scattered fragments of the virus from the group gepadnavirusov (Hepadnaviridae), struck a bird in the genome of the interval from 19 to 40 million years ago.
15. Even not at all versed in the birds the reader to the next photo will detect signs of gepadnavirusa in this female, who with great interest the formless and diffuse beam of feathers on slender legs. "And this is my husband?" Reads a dumb question in front of the unfortunate finches.
16. Butterfly conservatory - is not just a zoo Lepidoptera. The locals here are actively studied and used for experiments of science. Here are grown for future researchers.
17. Hrizipp monarch (Danaus chrysippus) in angiyskoy version is called the far more interesting - Tiger Ordinary or the African Monarch (Plain Tiger or African Monarch). True, her behavior is nothing proud tiger, and especially royal, I have not found. Not only does this butterfly is impregnated by some tasteless alkaloids, soaked in the body is still at the larval stage, and makes it absolutely inedible and tasteless. So she still knows how to pretend to be dead. If some unscrupulous eating predator still try to attack her, the butterfly immediately falls down dead and starts to stink to exude a very unpleasant smell, and discourage babochkoeda every appetite. And in appearance and can not say that she is nasty. Very pretty spotty thing.
18. Postman fellow he is red postman (Heliconius erato) is interesting in that all the time trying to fly through the same route, for which it got its name.
19. Purple Rose (Pachliopta kotzebuea) walking on the pavement in search of adventure.
20. Red in spots. So similar and so different.
22. Here is a butterfly conservatory Cambridge - surprisingly fun and rewarding. By the way, photographers can call in and register yourself time for photography on certain days. For a couple of hours before the opening of the greenhouse will be come with a tripod and shoot, whatever you want. But after opening babochkonariuma to enter other visitors racks should be removed so as not to disturb others.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kl-bogel" group.
To post to this group, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
To subscribe or unsubscribe at http://groups.google.com.my/group/kl-bogel/subscribe
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/kl-bogel?hl=en
Sebarang email pertanyaan, hantar kepada email@example.com